Moving to Cloud? Pre-migration testing is a must
An increasing number of businesses are migrating to cloud services because of its low-cost investment and numerous other benefits such as:
- Reduced investment risk.
- Greater scalability and versatility.
- Higher uptime and increased continuity in business.
- Operating and technology up-to-date.
- Better connectivity from all over the world.
If you are still thinking about why you should move to the cloud, we have written a whole other detailed blog that will let you know the Top 10 reasons to move to Cloud.
It’s all great and easily said; moving to the cloud, however, the migration process can seem like a pretty daunting task.
How can you as an organization can migrate to cloud services and maximize the benefits?
The answer is – rigorous performance testing.
Tests, Tests, and Tests
Almost 70% of the organizations are migrating to cloud services and there seems to be a pattern about how some of them approach this process.
While the cloud is almost infinitely scalable, it is important to remember that most of the legacy programs might not scale up smoothly during the cloud migration process.
The only way to ensure that the whole process operates smoothly is to run the service roll-out test.
A pre-migration test is the only way to locate and avoid last-minute hiccups before moving to cloud services.
Things To Tests
For an IT team to ensure that the company has a fully operating cloud service within a safe environment, testing procedures should include general performance and compatibility testing, as well as security and vulnerability testing.
- Functional Testing
This testing involves Software as a service (SaaS) and cloud computing services as well as end-to-end performance testing applications.
These checks can occur after all the data and legacy programs in the new environment have been transferred.
- Security Testing
It has become important to ensure that all systems and software have strong protection, wherever they are located, with growing ransomware and malware threats.
Checklist while performing security validation:
- Make sure that only approved users can access your cloud network.
- Take preventive measures against popular attacks and ensure the proper functioning of the measures.
- Data protection validation is critical during rest, use, and transit.
The most integral part of the migration testing is to ensure that your applications are easily integrated with the third-party applications and the communication takes place amongst them without any issues
For moving more than one application, the migration process tends to become more complicated.
You can validate few things to simplify the process:
- What interfaces and systems are covered?
- Resources needed for validation and integration testing?
- What plan is in place to develop and execute tests with third-party execution?
- Identify the coordination problems in the cloud environment?
Although, why bother testing?
There are a variety of factors that are taken into account while moving to cloud, which can cause uncertainty and breakdowns, such as legacy systems, aging hardware, and performance criteria, and tolerance.
Testing will push the new environment to its limits, ensuring that the cloud environment plays nicely with legacy systems, and a cloud hosting service will give the end-users the performance they need and deserve.
By performing these pre-migration tests we can identify all the issues related to performance, security, and integration.
This helps the organization to identify and resolve them before the migration process without affecting hundreds of users and businesses as a whole.
We would also like to share few tips while testing the cloud hosting services:
- Have the right people:
There shouldn’t be any half-hearted attempt while testing before migration. Make sure you have the best people on this because testing is how you set up your business for success during cloud migration.
- Ask your team:Talk to your employees and find out what they need performance-wise. Their insights and thoughts can often alert you about the potential potholes before they even occur.
- Keep testing:Even after the cloud migration is done keep performing the tests to ensure that the cloud hosting services continue to work.
If the cloud migration process is performed smoothly and is in fine-tune with your company’s needs, a cloud hosting solution offers a powerful and dynamic change to your business.